The Office of the City Clerk serves as secretary to the municipal government. The Clerk serves as custodian of the City seal (affixing it to all papers and documents according to law), minutes, books, deeds, contracts, and archival records. The City Clerk administers the oath of office to city elected and appointed officials.
As secretary to the governing body the Clerk assists in the preparation of the agenda, records the minutes of all Commission Meetings and preserves all documentation of the City Commission's actions. Ordinances and resolutions enacted by City Commission are permanently archived by the City Clerk.
Serving as the Municipal Elections Coordinator, the City Clerk is responsible for conducting municipal elections within the city. The Clerk's duties include public notices and distribution of election materials and supplies.
The Office of the City Clerk provides assistance with the following responsibilities:
- Oversees and coordinates all municipal and special elections held by the City;
- Qualifies candidates who wish to run for office;
- Administers a citywide records management program for all official records in compliance with state law;
- Serves as the City’s Records Management Liaison Officer (RMLO) with the State of Florida Department of State;
- Serves as central repository for vital, permanent, historical, and archival records of the City;
- Responds to Public Records Requests, disseminating information to the public, city officials, department directors, other governments and public agencies;
- Submits City Commission approved vacations, easements, deeds, liens, etc. for recording;
- Coordinates the codification and distribution of supplemental updates of the City Charter, Code of Ordinances, and Land Development Code;
- Serves as the Financial Disclosure Coordinator with the State of Florida Commission on Ethics;
- Serves as Clerk for all City Boards and Committees.
- Prepares Proclamations, Greetings, Congratulatory Letters, and Certificates of Appreciation;
- Schedules Code Enforcement Hearings and provides administrative assistance to Special Master;
- Publishes and distributes public notices and legal advertisings as required by law.