The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) has begun a bridge rehabilitation and roadway project as of the week of August 10, 2021 along Sunny Isles Boulevard/SR 826/163 Street over the Intracoastal Waterway (bridge numbers 870592 and 870593) and from NE 35 Avenue to SR A1A/Collins Avenue in the cities of North Miami Beach and Sunny Isles Beach.
Ongoing Construction Activities
Monday, November 29 – Friday, December 3, 2021
- Mechanical and drill operations
- Performing mechanical repairs inside of the bridge
- Performing drill operations
- Beginning Monday evening, November 22, Two westbound lanes along the SR 826 / Sunny Isles Boulevard / 163 Street Bridge will be CLOSED 24/7 until further notice.
Work to be Performed
Over the Intracoastal Highway Bridge Repairs:
- Repairing structural, mechanical and electrical bridge components
- Replacing the deck to improve the riding surface and reduce noise
- Painting the structural steel
- Enhancing the fuel tank
From NE 35 Avenue to SR A1A/Collins Avenue:
- Repaving and restriping the roadway and ramps
- Enhancing pedestrian ramps and bicyclist railing
- Reconstructing damaged concrete driveways and sidewalks
- Repaving the municipal parking lot at the Intracoastal Waterway
- Relocating the bus shelter at westbound SR 826 west to improve vehicle sight distance
- Adjusting and constructing storm drains and manholes
- Renaming the existing “Business Loop” signage “Gateway Loop”
- Reconstructing the traffic island at the intersection of SR 826 and North Bay Road and moving the stop bar and stop sign closer to the intersection
- Replacing the traffic signal at the intersection of SR 826 and NE 25 Avenue
August 2021 – Spring 2023
Lane Closure and Detour Information
To do this work safely, it will be necessary to close travel lanes and establish detours at times. Permanent work zones will be established and continuous lane closures will occur on the westbound and eastbound bridges.
At least two eastbound and two westbound travel lanes will remain open at all times.
Please allow extra time to reach your destination and obey all posted signs and speed limits.
FDOT will post the latest updates, including scheduled lane closures, on their website, fdotmiamidade.com.
For current lane closures in Sunny Isles Beach, visit sibfl.net/news.