SIB Family Fun Fishing Tournament
Saturday, April 14, 2018
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Sunny Isles Beach Newport Fishing Pier
16501 Collins Avenue
Bring your friends and family for a morning of fishing fun while competing for your chance at cash and other great prizes. Entry Fee is $5 per person with SIB Resident ID Card, $10 without. Entry fee includes one line in the tournament. Show your participation wristband at Beach Bar and receive 25% off your lunch!
Free parking is available in the Gateway Park parking garage with overflow parking at Bella Vista Bay Park. A trolley will be running for drop off and pick up between the garage and the Pier.
Pre-registration is now open. Stop by Pelican Community Park or the SIB Government Center to register. Fishing poles are available for rent for pre-registration only. Fishing is only allowed from the pier, no shore fishing permitted. Only one line per entrant. See below for complete tournament rules.
Sunny Isles Beach Fishing Tournament Rules
- Registration: Registration is required to compete in the event. Contestant pre-registration will be accepted at the SIB Government Center (18070 Collins Ave) or at Pelican Community Park (18115 N Bay Rd) during their normal business hours. Entry fee of $5 per person with SIB Resident ID Card is due at time of registration. Entry fee will be $10 per person without SIB Resident ID Card. Registration will be available day of at the check-in. For questions regarding registration, please call 305.792.1706.
- Entry Forms: Entry forms must be filled out with all participants’ information. The City of Sunny Isles Beach reserves the right to refuse application or entry into the tournament at their discretion with or without cause.
- Date & Location: Tournament competition will be held on Saturday, April 14, 2018, from 9:00 am until 12:00 pm on the Sunny Isles Beach Newport Fishing Pier located in Pier Park at 16501 Collins Avenue. The awards ceremony will start at 12:30 pm.
- Maximum Anglers: All anglers should be listed on the entry form. There is no limit on anglers. Any families with angler changes or substitutions should notify the committee prior to the start of fishing.
- Maximum Lines: Each angler is allowed one line in the water in the tournament. Lines must be attended at all times by the angler. The City of Sunny Isles Beach may disqualify lines from the tournament that are not attended at all times.
- Eligible Species: Shark fishing is not permitted on the Sunny Isles Beach Newport Fishing Pier and any shark caught will not be counted in the tournament.
- Tackle: All fish must be caught on rod and reel. Cast Net Fishing and Kite Fishing are not permitted. Yoyo, Snatch Hooks, Hard lines, trolley rigs, treble hook fishing and reels over 4/0 are also not permitted.
- Bait & Bait Fishing: Fishing with live bait is permitted in the tournament; however, chumming is not permitted. Bait fish caught from the pier or fish caught with a sabiki rig (or similar type rig / lure) will not be credited for competition categories.
- Hook & Catch: All anglers must hook, fight, and catch their own fish. Once a fish is hooked, that angler must fight the fish until it is properly released or lost. Parents or guardians of contestants under 14 years of age may assist the angler in the catch of their fish.
- Tournament Boundaries: Tournament Fishing is only permitted off the Sunny Isles Beach Newport Fishing Pier. Shore or boat fishing will not be permitted.
- Prize Structure: The general prize structure is listed below. The City of Sunny Isles Beach reserves the right to change prize structure at any time. In the event of a tie, the prize money will be split between the winners.
Weight (in lbs/oz) Length (in inches) 1st $500.00 1st $500.00 2nd $300.00 2nd $300.00 3rd $150.00 3rd $150.00
Youngest Angler to Catch a Fish – $100.00
Oldest Angler to Catch a Fish – $100.00
Top Lady Angler (most fish) – $100.00
Top Gentleman Angler (most fish) – $100.00
Top Youth Angler (most fish, under 18) – $100.00
- Check-In: Check-in will be located on the Sunny Isles Beach Newport Fishing Pier starting at 7:30 am on Saturday, April 14, 2018. All anglers must check in prior to the tournament starting.
- Lines-In/Lines-Out: Lines out no earlier than 9:00 am on Saturday, April 14, 2018. Lines in no later than 12:00 pm on Saturday, April 14, 2018.
- Weather: This is a rain or shine event. Only weather conditions deemed unsafe by the City of Sunny Isles Beach will postpone or cancel the tournament.
- Protest: All protests must be done at time of the judging. Any requests to re-measure or re-weigh the fish after the time of judging will be denied.
- Tournament Discretion: The tournament director reserves the right to implement his or her discretion at any time during the tournament as it may apply to the rules or any other circumstance that should arise during the course of the event.
- Release: All anglers must follow Florida Fishing Laws and release fish that are too small or too big back to the ocean. These fish can be measured and weighed for the tournament, but they must be released after the judging. Anglers may decide to keep or release any fish that pass minimum requirements.
- Hold Harmless: Each contestant shall be required to complete a registration and waiver form prior to participating in tournament.
- Signature: By registering for a tournament, the contestant(s) agrees that all anglers will abide by all tournament rules.
- Photographic Release: By registering for the tournament, the contestant agrees to be photographed for use in city publications including but not limited to, newsletter, newspaper, web, and social media.
- Scoring Weight: Once the fish is caught and unhooked, it will be placed on a scale for weight in pounds & ounces. The weight will be recorded in the tournament log. At the end of the tournament, the weights of all fish will be arranged in descending order with the angler who caught the fish with the heaviest weight being the winner in that division.
- Scoring Length: Once the fish is caught and unhooked, it will be placed on a measuring board with the length in inches. The length will be recorded in the tournament log. At the end of the tournament, the lengths of all fish will be arranged in descending order with the angler who caught the fish with the longest measurement being the winner in that division.
- Scoring Additional Categories: Winners of additional side categories will be based on the tournament manager’s discretion.
- Winnings: All winners will be required to complete a W-9 prior to receiving any awards. Parents or Guardians of minors who win must fill out a W-9 for their minor child. Winners will receive their prize money in the form of a check mailed to their home address after the completion of the contest.