(Tuesday, March 5, 2019) – The Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County recognizes March as National Nutrition Month® – a time to reexamine the role dietary intake plays in achieving and maintaining optimal health. “There’s no one diet that is right for everyone, so it’s important to follow a healthful eating plan that works for you.”
According to Yesenia D. Villalta, APRN, DNP, MSN, Administrator of the Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County, “this national campaign reinforces the importance of making informed food choices and engaging in consistent physical activity.” Dr. Villalta went on to state that “minimal changes in our dietary intake and exercise habits, can reap a lifetime of benefits.”
To encourage diversity in the nutrition topics promoted, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends celebrating various healthful messages locally. Our local theme for National Nutrition Month is “Good Food Good Mood”. In celebration of National Nutrition Month® 2019, the Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County challenges you to eat a variety of healthy foods to improve your overall wellbeing. Below are some healthy lifestyle tips to impact health and mood:
- Consuming a healthy breakfast daily impacts both energy and improves overall mood.
- Healthy snacks like peanut butter and apples is a great mood booster during the day.
- A small piece of dark chocolate has been shown to reduce the levels of cortisol and other stress hormones.
- Studies have shown that the use of herbs and spices such as peppermint and sage not only flavors food but may help with anxiety and other mood disorders.
- Consider the foods you have on hand before buying more at the store, buy only the amount that can be eaten or frozen within a few days.
- Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the amount that’s right for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
- Water is the optimal beverage; it is calorie and sugar free.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
- Realize the benefits of healthy eating by consulting with a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN). RDNs can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
For more healthful eating tips, recipes, information, and to find a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist in your area, visit the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics at www.eatright.org.
To commemorate the dedication of Registered Dietitian Nutritionists as the leading advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world, the second Wednesday of each March is celebrated as Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day will be celebrated Wednesday, March 13, 2019. On this day we want to increase the awareness of the Registered Dietitian Nutritionist as the expert provider of food and nutrition information and services. RDNs play an essential role in developing healthy eating plans that is tailored to your needs and tastes.
The WIC Program is the nation’s most successful and cost-effective public health nutrition program providing wholesome food, nutrition education and counseling, breastfeeding support and community referrals to income-eligible women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or postpartum, infants and children up to five years old. Visit www.signupwic.com for information on your local WIC center.