By Dwight Snyder, Police Chief
(Friday, May 24, 2019) – As we enter the month of June, it’s a wonderful time for summer vacations, and spending time with family, while experiencing exciting new adventures and destinations. But June is also the start of hurricane season, which begins June 1 and ends on November 30 of each year. Living in South Florida, and especially in our beautiful community of Sunny Isles Beach, is a blessing for which we all should be thankful. We enjoy the year-round warm climate, balmy breezes and our amazing beachside atmosphere.
But part of living in South Florida is understanding the importance of hurricane preparation and taking time to prepare a plan of action to protect you and your family in the event we are threatened with a tropical cyclone. The good news: hurricanes can be predicted and monitored for days giving us adequate time to make the necessary preparations well in advance of its arrival. The key to successfully weathering a hurricane is having a plan! Below are some helpful tips to ensure you are ready.
- Have adequate food and water supplies for each member of the family, as well as your pets.
- Shutter your home properly to avoid wind and debris damage.
- Clear your yard/balcony of any outdoor furniture or yard decorations, which could become flying objects.
- Have an evacuation plan ready to go at a moment’s notice.
- Pay attention to your local news for your best source of information.
Have a great summer, be safe!