School Traffic Information
There are several modes of transportation to and from school for students including school bus, carpool, bicycles and skateboards and the SIBshuttle. For students who ride the school bus, the drop-off and pick-up location is on the south side of the school on 182nd Drive.
Driving Drop-off & Pick-up
If driving your child(ren) to school, use the school drop-off and pick-up lane. The drop-off and pick-up point is on the east side of the school on Atlantic Blvd. During the drop-off and pick-up times, Atlantic Blvd. will be open to southbound traffic only from 183 – 181 Drive. Because of this, all approaching traffic will be diverted to Atlantic Blvd. and 181 Drive, and will then be directed to North Bay Road. Sunny Isles Beach Police Officers will direct traffic during drop-off and pick-up time.
Guidelines for Drop-off & Pick-up Lane
- Students must exit or enter the vehicle once you have pulled up to the marked drop off section on Atlantic Blvd.
- Students must ONLY EXIT FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE / RIGHT SIDE of the vehicle. Remember, “RIGHT is CORRECT.”
- Students must be ready to immediately exit the vehicle during drop-offs so that the line can move efficiently.
- No u-turns in the Car Pool lane during dismissals and arrivals.
- Parking or dropping off your child within the RK Plaza Parking Lot will not be permitted at any time. Your vehicle will be subject to towing by private property owner if you choose to do so.
- Parents are advised to avoid parking in the Publix garage for school drop-off and pick-up as this can create a hazard.
Parking for Drop-off & Pick-up
There is VERY limited parking around the school. Therefore, we encourage all of those who are driving to utilize the drop-off and pick-up lane. Yes, you will need to incorporate some extra time in to your routine to accommodate this, but it will be beneficial for everyone, as your children will be entering and exiting the vehicle at a safe and monitored location.
- There is no parking permitted in the NSE/SIB K-8 School parking garage. This garage is for staff members ONLY.
- There is no parking permitted in the RK Plaza lot. Your vehicle will be subject to towing by private property owner if you choose to do so.
- There is no parking permitted in the Publix garage. Your vehicle will be subject to towing by private property owner if you choose to do so.
Walking Drop-off & Pick-up
- If walking your child to school, please use pedestrian crosswalks and obey crossing guards.
- The north entrance of the school on 183 Street will no longer be open during morning drop-offs. All children must enter the school from the main entrance on the south or east side.
- Between the hours of 2:30 – 3:30 pm on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and between the hours of 1:30 – 2:30 pm on Wed, there will be no walking access through Pelican Community Park. This is for the safety of our After School Program participants. See below “New Hours at Pelican Community Park” for details.
New Hours at Pelican Community Park
Beginning Monday, August 19, Pelican Community Park will be closed to non-program participants at certain times during the school day. This is for the safety and security of After School Program participants.
The park is closed school days:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 2:30–3:30 pm
Wednesday 1:30–2:30 pm
During these times, entrance will be allowed only at the north gate on 182 Drive to program participants with a valid ID. Additionally, anyone wishing to register for programs will have to do so at the SIB Government Center registration desk or online at activities.sibfl.net. Closure is not in effect on days when school is NOT in session, such as teacher planning days and summer, spring and winter break.
Bicycles and Skateboards
- Once your student is on school grounds, they must stop and walk their bicycle or skateboard.
- Bicycle racks are located on the south side of the school on 182 Drive adjacent to the PE Shelter and on North Bay Road and 182 Drive.
- A skateboard rack is located on the corner of 181 Drive and North Bay Road next to the bus shelter.
- Students must have their own lock to secure their bicycle or skateboard.
- Students in grades K-5 who ride the SIBshuttle to and from school must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at least 18 years old.
- Middle school students in grades 6-8 are permitted to ride the SIBshuttle unaccompanied.