Back to School Safety
Ensuring a safe and successful school year for your family starts at home. Before the first day of school, parents and guardians should talk with their children about a safety plan.
Teach your children what to do in case they get lost by establishing a meet up spot, such as the SIB Government Center, in case of emergencies. Parents should teach their young children and teens how to avoid tricks that strangers might use to gain their trust. All students should know their parent’s or guardian’s full name and phone number.
Vaccination is also an important part of back-to-school safety. August is National Immunization Awareness Month and we want you to know that you have the power to protect against vaccine-preventable diseases. Vaccines are safe, effective, and the best way to provide immunity before children are exposed to potentially life-threatening diseases. Help prevent the spread of disease by working with your doctor to stay up to date on recommended vaccines.
Learn more about the vaccines your child is eligible for on the CDC’s website.
Setting the right example for your children to follow will make our school and community that much safer. We hope you join us in making the 2022/2023 school year safe, happy, and productive!
School Traffic Safety
There are several modes of transportation to and from school for students including school bus, carpool, bicycles and skateboards, and the SIBshuttle. For students who ride the school bus, the drop-off and pick-up location is on the south side of the school on 182nd Drive.
Driving Drop-off & Pick-up
If driving your child(ren) to school, use the school drop-off and pick-up lane. The drop-off and pick-up point is on the east side of the school on Atlantic Blvd. During the drop-off and pick-up times, Atlantic Blvd. will be open to southbound traffic only from 183 – 181 Drive. Because of this, all approaching traffic will be diverted to Atlantic Blvd. and 181 Drive, and will then be directed to North Bay Road. Sunny Isles Beach Police Officers will direct traffic during drop-off and pick-up times.
Guidelines for Drop-off & Pick-up Lane
- Students must exit or enter the vehicle once you have pulled up to the marked drop-off section on Atlantic Blvd.
- Students must ONLY EXIT FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE / RIGHT SIDE of the vehicle. Remember, “RIGHT is CORRECT.”
- Students must be ready to immediately exit the vehicle during drop-offs so that the line can move efficiently.
- No u-turns in the Car Pool lane during dismissals and arrivals.
- Parking or dropping off your child within the RK Plaza Parking Lot will not be permitted at any time. Your vehicle will be subject to towing by private property owner if you choose to do so.
- Parents are advised to avoid parking in the Publix garage for school drop-off and pick-up as this can create a hazard.
Parking for Drop-off & Pick-up
There is VERY limited parking around the school. Therefore, we encourage all of those who are driving to utilize the drop-off and pick-up lane. Yes, you will need to incorporate some extra time in to your routine to accommodate this, but it will be beneficial for everyone, as your children will be entering and exiting the vehicle at a safe and monitored location.
- There is no parking permitted in the NSE/SIB K-8 School parking garage. This garage is for staff members ONLY.
- There is no parking permitted in the RK Plaza lot or in the Publix garage. Your vehicle will be subject to towing by private property owner if you choose to do so.
Walking Drop-off & Pick-up
- If walking your child to school, please use pedestrian crosswalks and obey crossing guards.
- The north entrance of the school on 183 Street will no longer be open during morning drop-offs. All children must enter the school from the main entrance on the south or east side.
Bicycles, Scooters, and Skateboards
- Once your student is on school grounds, they must stop and walk their bicycle, scooter, or skateboard.
- Bicycle and scooter racks are located on the south side of the school on 182 Drive adjacent to the PE Shelter.
- A skateboard rack is located on the corner of 181 Drive and North Bay Road next to the bus shelter.
- Students must have their own lock to secure their bicycle, scooter, or skateboard.
- Students in grades K-5 who ride the SIBshuttle to and from school must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at least 18 years old.
- Middle school students in grades 6-8 are permitted to ride the SIBshuttle unaccompanied.
- Remember, facial coverings are required when riding the shuttle.