EMERGENCY ORDER 04 AND SUPPLEMENT TO
DECLARED STATE OF EMERGENCY
OPEN / NEW CONSTRUCTION SITES IN PROGRESS
WHEREAS, on March 12, 2020 the City Manager declared a Local Emergency as a result of COVID-19; and
WHEREAS, on March 19, 2020 the City Manager extended the declared state of Local Emergency for an additional seven (7) days; and
WHEREAS, on March 26, 2020 the City Manager again extended the declared state of Local Emergency for an additional seven (7) days; and
WHEREAS, on April 2, 2020, the City Manager again extended the declared state of Local Emergency for an additional seven (7) days; and
WHEREAS, Governor DeSantis issued Executive Order Number 20-89 ordering Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and Monroe Counties to restrict public access to businesses and facilities deemed non-essential, and adopted a list of essential services set forth in Miami-Dade County Emergency Order No. 07-20; and
WHEREAS, Miami-Dade County Emergency Order No. 17-20 encourages all essential businesses to abide by Centers for Disease Control and Florida Department of Health guidelines on personal protective equipment (PPE) and social distancing; and
WHEREAS, this Emergency Order is necessary to ensure that Open / New Construction Sites in Progress operate in compliance with City, County, State, and Centers for Disease Control guidelines to maintain the health, safety and welfare of the City while complying with State and County Orders of permitting essential businesses.
NOW, THEREFORE, IT IS HEREBY DECLARED AND ORDERED AS FOLLOWS:
- General Contractors of Open / New Construction Sites in Progress shall strictly adhere to CDC guidelines and the Joint Construction Industry Commitment issued on March 23, 2020: Pledge to Reduce the Spread of Novel Coronavirus on South Florida’s Construction Sites attached hereto for reference as Exhibit A, and by adhering to the following best practices:
- All workers shall be provided alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol before entering and leaving the constructions sites;
- All workers shall be required to use personal protective equipment (PPE), including gloves, goggles/glasses, and respiratory protection at all times while at the work site, as well as traversing to and from the work site.
- Open / New Construction Sites in Progress shall be limited to 10 or fewer persons at a single-family residential construction site, and 10 or fewer persons per work area on all other construction sites;
- All workers shall be required to remain on the work site for the duration of their workday, inclusive of lunch and other breaks, and may not congregate in the public right of way except to traverse to and from the work site;
- Temporary structures, portable toilets, other such construction site equipment and all frequently touched areas must be sanitized routinely;
- Staggered shifts are encouraged to ensure the ability of workers to abide by social distancing guidelines; and
- Contractors shall post additional signage at jobsites advising of CDC guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19, inclusive of Social Distancing, use of PPE, staying home when ill, physical signs of COVID-19 and where to report non-compliance.
- If directed by the City, any other measures necessary to promote the public health, safety and welfare shall be implemented by the Contractor.
- Failure to abide by any part of this Order, or City requirements issued pursuant to this Order, shall result in penalties up to and including a Stop Work Order, or other measures deemed appropriate by the City’s Building Official.
- The provisions of this Emergency Order shall be effective Friday, April 10, 2020 and shall expire upon the expiration of the Declared State of Local Emergency, except that if the Declared State of Local Emergency is extended, this Emergency Order shall also be deemed to extend for the duration of such extension.
- This Emergency Order may be cancelled earlier by the City Manager.