(Saturday, October 5, 2019) – The City of Sunny Isles Beach is particularly susceptible to flooding from major rain events and storm surge. SIB lies close to sea level and its underground water supply is just below the ground surface. Therefore, major rain events sometimes leave rainwater nowhere to drain, causing occasional flooding. Your property may be high enough that it has not been flooded during recent storms, however, it can still be flooded in the event of a worse future storm. Now is the time to be prepared and protect yourself and your property.
Contact the Building Department at 305.947.2150 to obtain information on City-offered flood services including map determinations, copies of elevation certificates, and recommendations on possible improvements to protect your home from flooding.
- Maintain drains, ditches, and streams clear of debris.
- Report illegal dumping at 305.792.1711.
- Talk to your insurance agent about obtaining flood insurance.
- Be aware of flood warning notices issued by the National Weather Service.
- Shut off your gas and electricity and move valuable content to higher places.