On Saturday, February 20 the contractor will begin cleaning the steel bridge structures. The pressurized cleaning will produce loud noise at times. This operation will begin on the westbound bridge. Traffic will not be impacted by this operation. The cleaning operation will take approximately 14 days and will take place between 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
ONGOING CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES
Saturday, February 20 through February, Friday 26, 2021
Work zone set up and bridge repairs
· Cleaning the steel bridge structures
· Performing bridge repairs under the east side of the bridge.
· One outside eastbound or one outside westbound lane may be closed between 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) has begun a bridge rehabilitation project. Work will take place on the northbound and southbound bridges along SR 856/William Lehman Causeway over the Intracoastal Waterway (bridge numbers 870606 and 870607) in the cities of Aventura and Sunny Isles Beach.
Work to be Performed
- Cleaning and painting the bridge and repairing the steel structures
- Repairing bridge deck and underside concrete
- Repairing bridge drainage
- Replacing traffic delineators on the bridge
Early 2021 – Fall 2021
Lane Closure and Detour Information
To do this work safely, it will be necessary to close travel lanes and sidewalks during nonpeak hours. Lanes may be closed:
- 9 am to 3:30 pm, weekdays and weekends
- 9 pm to 5:30 am, Sundays through Thursdays
- 11 pm to 7 am, Fridays and Saturdays
Ramp closures will also be necessary to perform work. Ramp closures will occur during nonpeak hours and a detour will be posted. Lane closures and project information will be posted weekly on the department’s website.
Please allow extra time to reach your destination and obey all posted signs and speed limits.
FDOT will post the latest updates, including scheduled lane closures, on their webpage.
For current lane closures in Sunny Isles Beach, visit sibfl.net/news.