(Tuesday, February 26, 2019) – Hiring unlicensed contractors may provide a quick fix in the short term, but it can result in serious and lasting consequences. Keep these tips in mind when hiring a contractor:
- Ask to see a state-issued license.
- Ask for references.
- Beware of contractors who claim to be the fastest or cheapest.
- Make all payments by check to the company contracted to do the work. Do not make checks out to “cash,” or to an individual’s name.
- Get proposals or contracts in writing.
- Do not make a final payment until all work is finished correctly and all permits are cleared via a final inspection and/or a Certificate of Completion from the Building Department.
Remember, the first step in adding value to your home is hiring the right contractor to complete the project.
For additional information, please contact Paola Villa, Building Services Manager for the Sunny Isles Beach Building Department at 305.792.1790.