(Tuesday, February 26, 2019) – Hiring unlicensed contractors may provide a quick fix in the short term, but it can result in serious and lasting consequences. Keep these tips in mind when hiring a contractor:
- Ask to see a state-issued license.
- Ask for references.
- Beware of contractors who claim to be the fastest or cheapest.
- Make all payments by check to the company contracted to do the work. Do not make checks out to “cash,” or to an individual’s name.
- Get proposals or contracts in writing.
- Do not make a final payment until all work is finished correctly and all permits are cleared via a final inspection and/or a Certificate of Completion from the Building Department.
Remember, the first step in adding value to your home is hiring the right contractor to complete the project.